08 April 2007

Goodbye gallbladder, hello whiny husband

You may have noticed that I didn't continue my blog yesterday, and that I didn't update at all after surgery. You may have, but I did not. I was running on 3 hours of crappy sleep yesterday, and I don't remember eating from the time R went to the ER Friday morning until late Saturday afternoon (while he was in the recovery room after the surgeon gave us the report, my mom took me to the cafeteria and made me eat something, which was a good idea since I nearly passed out standing there deciding what to eat).

Surgery went great. They were hoping they could do laparoscopy rather than cutting one huge incision, and they were able to. Four small incisions in R's abdomen, plus the belly button incision. They kept him overnight again last night, which was good because he needed their super drugs to fight the pain. He's been holding down liquids since 6pm yesterday, ate a mushy breakfast this morning, and had turkey/mashed potatoes/stuffing/green beans for lunch. He did well with all of that, so they let him get dressed and come home. He's so much happier in his own bed. He's zonked out in there, I'm assuming he'll probably sleep most of the afternoon and then wake up for an hour or two before sleeping through the night. He took a vic.odin before going into the bedroom, although he had refused pain meds all morning. He's got a heating pad on his back because the hospital bed was uncomfortable and I'll probably give him a backrub later if he's awake.

R's grandma came up, but left not long after he got back to his room after surgery. My mom stayed the night to help take care of the dog since I wouldn't be home much. I was glad for that, I think I was more worried about the dog being left alone than I was about any part of R's surgery. The dog did demolish a brand new ball of crochet thread this morning while we were at the hospital waiting for R to be discharged, but I don't blame her since the past few days have been so hectic and she's been alone and bored.

I am currently enjoying a tiny bit of quiet time before I have to revert back into nursemaid mode and go adjust pillows, bring glasses of water, help in and out of bed, etc. It's going to be a long couple days before R starts feeling like himself again, but he did take care of me after my lap so I can't complain (although he didn't keep the house nearly as clean as I like to, and he's a terrible cook). The neighbors across the road invited me to Easter dinner over there, which I will probably go to. It saves me from having to cook, especially not knowing if R is going to want to eat or not. And I'm still so tired that I don't know if anything I cooked would be edible, or if it's even safe for me to cook in my current state. I'd probably fall asleep at the table and burn everything.

Now for a nap until then.

No comments: