15 August 2007

Neuro Visit #1 (and the exhaustion to come)

I won't get into a lot of details, but I LOVE R's Neurologist (hereby named Dr Giggly)! The whole office is bubbly and fun, he gave me candy while he whacked R's knees, and he thinks that whole "seizure" thing is a bunch of bullshit. Tentative diagnosis: complicated migraine with aura. R has samples of a couple things to try to stop the headaches when they start, and if they don't work, Dr Giggly will give him something to take daily to prevent them. And, really, if R only has serious migraines like this once a year or so, I think we're all good. Dr Giggly is still going to do an EEG and MRI just in case, but he's really certain. At least I think that's what he said. He's Italian, a little pudgy, loud and happy, and you have to guess 2/3 of the words he says due to his accent. He offered to tell the military that it was a seizure, if R would split the retirement benefits (R would be medically retired *kicked out* from the military for seizure and begin receiving partial retirement benefits immediately). Dr Giggly had it all planned out, retirement in Venezuela, offered to send us good Venezuelan wine as gifts. He pushed for it, R had to be all upstanding and honest and want the truth. Oh well, I don't think I could deal with retired R anyway.

The rest of the testing is on Friday. Friday is also the day some our best friends (R's former unit) come home from Ir.aq. So, EEG at 7:45am, then the 2-ish hour drive downstate to watch our friends get off that bus and officially be home, hang out for a little while- crying, hugs, etc, then the 2-ish hour drive back for the MRI at 5:15pm, oh, and then we're spending the weekend downstate, so we get to make that 2-ish hour drive again, probably go out with the guys and cry and hug more that night. I'm going to be fucking exhausted, but I can't wait to see Little Debbie, Double Tap, and Cousie-Pooh again. My heart is lighter knowing that they are in the US doing all their debriefings and evaluations already, they made it home from war. Too many of our guys didn't, and the ones that did will never be the same, but for now they are safe, and that makes me happy cry.

Almost forgot- Dr Giggly is not the Wizard, that all got fucked up by military red tape and we had to wiggle around and beg and plead and finally got into Dr Giggly instead of the Wizard (we saw Dr Giggly this Monday, the Wizard means nothing to us now).

2 comments:

Roy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PCOSMama said...

So glad to hear that the doc doesn't think it's anything serious! Hopefully the meds will take care of it and there'll be no more episodes.

I know what you mean about friends coming back from the war. We've been lucky in that only a few of our friends have gone and they have all made it back. We've been extremely lucky that my husband has not been sent yet, though his number may come up at the end of the year. I pray every day that it doesn't, not just because I'd fear for him, but also because our son is due in December and I need him here.

Enjoy your time with your friends!