19 March 2007

Drunken sorority girls

That's what I missed this weekend. I hadn't mentioned in my previous post that it was Greek Formal weekend, and that I was giving up my greek weekend to spend with Little H. Of course I love my boy, he is second only to R in my life (tied with the dog, but if you really knew my dog you'd understand). But it's been a year since I was back in my old college town (Formal last year, R wore his dress blues), and I miss the girls. I was supposed to go back in October for the huge fund raiser (Teeter Totter and Formal are the reasons alum go back, they are the best sisterhood bonding experiences), but we had just moved into the new house and there was so much that still needed to be done (I think we painted the living room that weekend and rearranged the kitchen- what moron puts the fridge next to the oven?).

So, although I loved the time I spent with Little H, I'm really bummed that I missed the weekend with my sorority. We share our formal with our brother fraternity and it's so much fun. We eat dinner separately (usually some sort of divided banquet hall), do the awards ceremony, then take down the divider and party all night together. Last year I got to hang out with my little sister (in the sorority sense), half of my pledge class, my favorite sisters, and the fraternity boy I used to date (hadn't seen him since graduation, we dated my freshman year, we were casual friends after that and have become good friends in the past year). I still don't know what I missed this year, but I'm sad that I missed it. I have a fabulous dress and sparkly shoes and fantastic jewelry that were just waiting to be worn, but I guess they will all have to wait for next year. I was going to look amazing, dammit! Maybe I'll.... nevermind, I'm too lazy to decorate the house and cook a nice dinner and dress up just for R, and he wouldn't appreciate the effort enough to make me feel like it was worth it anyway.

*****cute story about kids ahead*****

Beaver was not visiting over the weekend like I had previously thought he would be. Just another of those parents trading visitation weekends things that is so common anymore. But, Baby B was there. His mom wanted to go out of state for the weekend to visit her dad and stepmom but didn't want to take both children (she has a little girl, 18 months-ish), so my parents got a weekend with Baby B. Little H gets along much better with Baby B than he does Beaver, because he has so much more in common with Baby B. Yeah, Baby B is 18 months younger than Little H (Beaver is only 6 months younger than Little H), but they have such similar attitudes and preferences. They are both relaxed and kinda quiet, comfortable reading books or sitting down to watch an entire movie. Beaver yells and runs and jumps constantly, he can't settle down to read 3 pages of a book and he has never seen more than 10 straight minutes of any movie.

Anyway, Saturday all the men went down to the gravel pit to shoot skeet. 6 rifles/shotguns, 3 handguns of some sort, 2 boxes of clay pigeons, a dozen boxes of ammunition, scorecards, skeet throwers (both a hand thrower thing and some sort of ground mounted, spring-action kind of thing), and 5 hours. Sometime late in hour 3 I took both kids down to watch. Early in hour 4 I could barely move from cold. Shortly thereafter I convinced the men to let the kids have a shot (with R holding the rifle and the kids merely giving the command to throw the skeet and pulling the trigger). The boys took 2 shots each (neither coming anywhere near hitting the flying clay disk), then we went home to let the men finish up. The boys were absolutely giddy about their shooting skills, told everybody they saw all about it. Time to break out the pellet gun and teach them respect and rules when it comes to guns.

I know some people don't agree with that at all, but that's how I was raised (R too). And we do have guns in our house, so Little H needs to know the rules in case he ever accidentally finds one (here or at a friends' house, you never know which families have guns). When I was little, at any given time I could have told you where to find at least a dozen guns and their ammunition. But I never once touched a gun or bullet without adult supervision. I knew the rules, I respected what guns could do, my curiosity was replaced with knowledge and guidelines. Now there are trigger locks and ammunition safes and all of that, but knowledge is safer than all of those things combined (although we do also use a trigger lock on the rifle and a locked case for the handgun, and the ammunition is stored in another area of the house- you can never be too safe).

And my lighthearted post has suddenly turned controversial. Please, I don't want to hear warnings about guns, I don't want to hear rants or raves about gun control, I definitely don't want flames for allowing my stepson and nephew to touch a gun. Nothing you say would change my beliefs or opinions, so please don't try. I just had to write about something and my nudie pics aren't here yet (and I don't know exactly when to expect them) so I had to come up with something. :)

No comments: